A Message From Dr. Christopher Kendall, Owner & Founder Of Kendall Performance Physical Therapy
It is easy to dismiss a sports injury and try to push through the pain, but it is critical to seek medical attention.
Or it’s easy to become discouraged and feel “trapped,” wondering if you’ll ever be able to participate in sports or stay active like you used to…
If you’re going through this, you’re not alone; we always go through it. In fact, whether it’s summer or winter, we see patients at Kendall’s physiotherapy center.
When doctors and medical professionals tell people to “rest” after an injury, we think it’s ridiculous. We believe that this is causing more harm and increasing your chances of future injuries. This is because rest causes our muscles to weaken and atrophy! That is why so many people suffering from sports injuries wonder:
"It's Been Months - Why Am I STILL Suffering From An Injury That Prevents Me From Being Active And Playing My Favorite Sport?"
Does That Describe You?
In our clinic, we frequently see patients who go to the doctor and are told to rest and “try these pain relievers” to “see how it works.” Then, four weeks later, because the injury hasn’t improved, they return to the same doctor and are given MORE rest and ANOTHER prescription for even stronger pills.
Rest isn’t always the best medicine when it comes to sports injuries. So, if you’ve ever been frustrated after speaking with multiple people and receiving contradictory information, know that you’re not alone. Because they can have similar symptoms, it’s easy to confuse a back injury with a hip problem.
Sports injuries are frequently misdiagnosed because the pain comes from somewhere other than the area that needs fixing. Resting for an extended period of time can cause other body parts to become weak and vulnerable to injury.
Unfortunately, the uncertainty surrounding “resting” often leads to even more procrastination and avoidance of decisions that could aid in the healing of an injury and return to regular exercise. Worse, many people simply accept that they are no longer active as if it is normal or unavoidable.
Is That How You Feel as Well?
If You’re Currently Frustrated and Living With a Sports Injury, Here Are Seven Additional Reasons Why It May Be Lasting Longer Than It Should:
1. You expected it to go away on its own, but it didn’t.
2. You went to the doctor, who advised you to rest, wear a brace, and take pain relievers – but the pills did nothing to help, and as soon as they wore off, you were back in agony.
3. You just accepted it because a family member or friend told you that everyone gets more prone to sports injuries as they age.
4. You had previously sought assistance from other Healthcare Professionals or a Physio, but nothing they said or did seem to help.
5. You’ve tried heating pads, ice, and sports supports, but they’ve done nothing to alleviate your pain or allow you to return to exercise with ease.
6. You thought resting would be a good idea because you were in a lot of pain, but it still irritates you on a daily basis.
7. You decided to get a few “sports massages” in the hopes that they would relieve your pain, but all they did was make you feel a little ‘painful’ or relaxing,’ and did nothing to help your injury in the long run.
If you’ve been involved in any of these mishaps, we’d like to invite you to schedule a call with one of our physical therapists to learn what we can do to help you. You’re already one step closer to finding the solution because you’ve tried any or all of these things!
If you want to get some solid advice over the phone, click the link below to book a call with us. The phone call is free, and there is no obligation to book appointments with us after the call. Our goal is to assist you in making the best decision about what to do next.
So, here are four things you can do:
1. First and foremost, you must decide whether or not to seek assistance – Many people put off dealing with their problems for so long, believing that the pain will eventually “go away with time.” They’re still dealing with it six months later, and nothing has changed. Alternatively, it could worsen, and they’ll stop participating in sports or activities entirely.
2. Do the RIGHT exercises next – The physical therapist will explain them in detail and demonstrate how to do them correctly. One of the best things you can do to speed up your recovery and avoid injuries is to perform the appropriate series of advanced exercises – the right exercises provided by a PT help relieve pain while quickly allowing you to move freely again.
3. Avoid “too much rest” – While rest is necessary for recovery, too much rest will not help you recover faster. Many people believe that total inactivity is required for recovery. Rest prevents blood circulation, which is required for an injury to heal. Your body requires appropriate rehabilitation, strengthening exercises, and hands-on therapy to get you back into action and healthy as soon as possible.
4. Physical Therapy that is “hands-on” Sports injury patients has been shown to benefit from therapeutic massage. In reality, at Kendall Performance Physical Therapy, we assist people recovering from sports injuries all year. Suppose your condition prevents you from participating in sports or being active. In that case, if it interferes with your job or limits your freedom by limiting the amount of time you can spend with family and friends, Physical Therapy may be able to help you return to normal life as soon as possible.
Note: We offer this free Total Body Diagnostic session to people nervous or skeptical about Physical Therapy, unsure of its benefits or if it is right for them. If this describes you, please begin with a Free Total Body Diagnostic session so that we can work with you to determine what is wrong and what can be done – with no financial risk to you.
So Here’s the Next Question...
"How Can Choosing Kendall Performance Physical Therapy As Your Physical Therapist Help You Get Rid Of Your Sports Injury Forever?"
Kendall Performance Physical Therapy’s expert physical therapists can help you manage or eliminate sports injuries so you can return to your favorite recreational activities.
If you want to know how much it costs and what availability we have, please click the button below and fill out the short form:
What Other People Just Like You Are Saying About Kendall Performance Physical Therapy in Kenmore and Williamsville
14+ 5-Star Reviews!
I’ve seen many PT’s for different injuries over the years and I learned more from Dr. Kendall in the hour session with him than I have in all of my previous sessions combined! He was VERY through and insightful, he did an amazing job explaining what was causing my lower back pain and what I need to work on mobility wise to prevent the injury in the future! I HIGHLY recommend him!!
After only two visits with Dr. Kendall, I’ve played three rounds of golf with less pain in my lower back each time. I’ve been following the stretching/exercise plan he provided me and it’s helped me tremendously when it comes to my mobility and keeping my muscles loose. He is also very personable and explains things so I can easily understand, opposed to using medical terms.